Monday 25 November 2013

Brooks Glycerin version 9 and 10


Brooks Glycerin training shoes (£110)
When I first started running seriously, I followed the crowd after my first event and noticed everyone was wearing asics, but then I was attracted by the great looking Glycerin by Brooks.
As somewhat of vain runner, I have high standards on how my shoes actually look as well as feel, and these really do look the business, eyecatching and look a well shaped, well constructed shoe.
So I took the plunge and am I glad I did, in the store I laced up and jumped on the treadmill - first impression WOW!!!
 What a comfortable shoe better than any asics I had used before (cumulus 13, and kayano 17). The shoe fit like a glove and was extremely soft and luxurious inside so much so it felt like a sock liner akin to the nike shox nz fit. Weight issues were not a problem to me as was identified by the store assistant, the shoes being very similar in weight to the kayano, I can however, see in comparison that this is a heavy shoe with others available in the same store. I was so impressed by the feel, that I also bought the previous version Glycerin 9 which was on sale as end of range and put those away for later in the year.
Both shoes were fantastic and extremely rugged and hardy in relation to build quality, sole and uppers, my concern however, was with the mesh toe box. Both version managed just over 200 miles before the big toe began to rub a hole into the mesh, this was disappointing as my kayano lasted well beyond 400 miles with no issue. This can be seen on the photo below, but the shoe suffered wear nowhere else, whereas the asics rubbed away behind the heels.
Cushion and support was superb, making running a delight, with Brooks version of the gel (adaptable DNA) giving great variable cushioning related to different surfaces and running techniques. Comfort is also enhanced by the medium width shoe giving the foot plenty of room especially on those foot swelling half marathons.
VERDICT - a fantastic shoe which offers great comfort and cushioning and support, looks great and the build quality can take a fair bit of punishment, weight could be an issue for racers but highly recomended for the casual runner looking after your joints. The only downpoint being wear issue in the toebox. Looks 10/10  Comfort 10/10 Lifespan 7/10 OVERALL 8/10 A great shoe, cant wait to try the 11!

No comments:

Post a Comment